Sales Blog #58 - Focus for Sales Success!

Focus for Sales Success!

Many sales people appear to be hyper active showing all around them how hard they are trying to sell. Successful sales people focus on the important to get superior sales results.

Focus, not keeping busy gets sales results.

Recently, I read an article “The Productivity Secret You Can Steal From Geniuses” by Jessica Stillman in INC. magazine. The message is clear: geniuses through history have achieved major breakthroughs because of focus. And the good news for you in sales, the habit of focus can be cultivated so you can be sell smarter, and reach new levels of success. Dr. John Maxwell puts it a different way “Successful sales leaders know that activity does not necessarily mean accomplishment.”

Focus on activities that bring you biggest payoff to sell successfully. Dr. Maxwell taught me this simple “Rule of 5″ formula employing the Pareto Principle to sort out and focus on what brings you sales success across activity, relationships, learning and time:

  1. Write down your main sales goal. This will be your aim as you create your Rule of 5. Your Rule of 5 are the FOCUS areas you must do in order to achieve sales success.
  2. Build your “important sales activity” list. Write down a list of everything you do to be successful in sales. This can range from reading and writing to engaging with team members and building customer relationships.
  3. Rank these sales activity items in order of priority.
  4. Highlight the top 20 percent of your sales priorities and make a memorable list of 5 things and FOCUS the majority of your time to those things that bring in sales. Eliminate the items from the remaining 80% that hinder your success and stop doing them…..today!
  5. Print your Rule of 5, and hang it where it is frequently seen. Put it in your smartphone, as the screensaver on your laptop. Daily FOCUS the is key on these 5 for sales success.

What are my daily “Rule of 5″ for sales success?

  1. Start the day with a positive focus. Do morning mediation, exercise and learning.
  2. Focus on daily lead generation and prospecting to get appointments with Key Decision makers. Get connected to decision makers, not influencers.
  3. Focus on pre call preparation. Your customers check you and your competitors out via the web. Be well prepared and a clear focused sales call objective.
  4. Focus on the customer by listening, asking good questions to have a mutually beneficial business discussion to provide relevant win win solutions. Those that focus on helping the customer be successful win more sales.
  5. Focus on follow up. The main reason customers do not trust sales people is they don’t deliver on their promises. Focus on meeting your commitments to the customer, Your sales manager, your internal support team, and those you make to yourself.

Get focused today by determining your “Rule of 5″ for sales success and see new levels of achievement in 2016! 

Posted in Sales Performance

About Michael Griffin

Michael is the CEO of ELAvate Global and Equipping Leaders for Asia Pte. Ltd. Over 40+ years, his career has revolved around developing leaders, especially sales leaders, in emerging nations. Mr. Griffin has spent the majority of his 40+ year career in Asia. His areas of expertise include Sales Productivity, Senior Executive Development, Cross Cultural Leadership, Strategy Mapping and Balanced Scorecard.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Get ELAvate! Sales Insights via Email

Signup to receive ELAvate! Sales insights in your inbox. You can choose from our bi-weekly blog posts, eZines or events and offers as they become available. You can always unsubscribe or change your preference later.

* indicates required
Send me updates on